At Trinity, we carry with us a living heritage of faith. We’ve enjoyed a rich, fruitful history in which we have experienced God’s love and blessing.
At the beginning of this century, the Pentecostal revival touched a small local church known as the "Baltimore Branch of the Christian and Missionary Alliance." The pastor, Edward Staudt, occasionally held evangelistic tent meetings in an effort to reach the people of Baltimore with the good news of Jesus Christ. In time, his experience of faith left him wanting more. He developed an interest in the Pentecostal movement and soon realized what he had been missing. After receiving the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, he began teaching his congregation about this Biblical experience. Several members were also Baptized in the Holy Spirit. On June 4, 1923, these sixteen people gathered in a small parsonage on North Fulton Avenue in West Baltimore. They formed a new church called the "Full Gospel Church of Baltimore." Walls were soon removed in the house and a platform built to make it suitable for worship services. In time, the growing congregation built a new brick church in Baltimore on the corner of Saratoga and Monroe. This building was the center of their lives and a hub of activity. Each week, they participated in three lively worship services, Sunday school, a Bible study, and a "young people’s meeting." The power of God was often experienced in their gatherings. Rev. Staudt was resolute in his beliefs. His high principles and strong character were balanced by a meek disposition. He was a very popular man who always had a smile for everyone. He had a wonderful sense of humor and people liked him. Rev. Staudt left the "Full Gospel Church" in 1942 to begin serving as the Superintendent of the Potomac District of the Assemblies of God.
Alexander Clattenburg was called to pastor the "Full Gospel Church" in 1942. Within only a few years, in 1945, the name was changed to Trinity Assembly of God. The church was soon experiencing such growth that construction was begun on a new building at Harford and Parkside Drives. The colonial design and quality construction of this building were rare in the Assemblies of God at that time. The growing congregation moved into the new building in 1947. Rev. Clattenburg had a great interest in reaching out to people beyond the borders of Trinity. He developed a great love and burden for all people of Baltimore at the beginning of the Charismatic renewal in the mid-1960’s. He prayed diligently for those far from Christ, believing that Trinity would play a significant role in the Charismatic renewal. Rev. Clattenburg was very outgoing and gregarious. People enjoyed being around him. He loved them and hugged everyone. His thirst for knowledge led him to acquire a large library of books. He also gave books freely to pastors and missionaries who didn’t have the resources to accumulate a library. Rev. Clattenburg served as Missionary Secretary of the Potomac District for many years. He encouraged people to go the mission field and raised support from all over the country for missionaries. Rev. Clattenburg was a visionary. He strongly felt that Trinity had to move beyond its borders if we were to be obedient to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Specifically, he felt that God was leading us to relocate to the present property along the Beltway. Rev. Clattenburg frequently came out to the property, prayed over it, and asked God to set it apart for our church. Two years following his death in 1972 the land was finally purchased where the church now stands.
Earl Baldwin began attending Trinity under the ministry of Rev. Staudt in 1935. He was later converted to Christ under the ministry of Rev. Clattenburg 1953. Twenty years later, he succeeded Rev. Clattenburg as pastor in 1973. At that time, over 150 people attended Trinity regularly. Trinity grew steadily in the following years. By 1979, the congregation had grown to about 250 adherents and the first phase of building began on the new property. By the end of that year, in December, Trinity moved into the present Chapel building (the Baldwin Activity Center). Constructing this facility required a great sacrifice. Almost immediately, a special blessing fell on the church. Hundreds of people began attending from many denominations. Many of them had found God in Charismatic prayer groups and were looking for a place to worship. Many new people entered into a relationship with Jesus Christ. Within months of moving into the new building, a second worship service was started to accommodate all the people that God was bringing to the church. Attendance mushroomed to over 1,000 people. Our church ministries also grew: the choir, children’s ministries, adult education, youth, and missions. In the mid-1980’s, a crisis-pregnancy home was started. Several building programs marked the decade as the church grew. Eventually, the burgeoning congregation required an even larger sanctuary to accommodate the number of people that God was adding to the church. In 1991, the present sanctuary building was completed. After standing watch during this period of dramatic church growth, Dr. Baldwin retired in May of 1995.
Early in 1995, the Rev. Scott Erickson, became pastor of Trinity for a short period of time. Following his resignation in 1996, many months of uncertainty followed. Trinity sought God’s will for the future as the pastoral staff coalesced into a leadership team under the interim pastorate of George Raduano.
Following many months of God’s blessing in our worship services under Rev.
As we reflect on our history, eight major characteristics of our church are evident: